INSTITUTE OF GRADUATE STUDIES
UiTM takes pride in its establishment as one of the premier institutions of higher education in the country. Although the history of UiTM dates back to 1956, the genesis and growth of the Institute of Graduate Studies can be traced to April 1997. Prior to this, graduate education in UiTM was carried out in collaboration with a number of foreign universities and the programmes offered were, namely:
Executive Master of Business Administration (Ohio University - ITM)
Master of Business Administration (University of Cardiff - ITM)
Master in Arts Education (De Montfort University - ITM)
Master in Accountancy (Curtin University - ITM)
Master in Mass Communication (Ohio University - ITM)
Master in Sports Science (University of New South Wales - ITM)
It was the passing and ratification of the ITM Act in 1976/1997/1999 that laid the foundation for the establishment of IPSis. Although being relatively new, the Institute prides itself as being progressive, dynamic and innovative in fulfilling its aims of providing opportunities for Bumiputera graduates to further their education at the Master’s and Doctoral levels.
This thus endorses its vision of engendering academic excellence and being at the forefront of graduate academic advancement. In striving to raise the levels of professional graduate education, it is the Institute’s mission to nurture the creation of a graduate learning community by providing educational opportunities that would help to push its frontiers for societal well-being.
IPSis operates as the nerve-centre of graduate-level education in the institution and is responsible for the implementation and management of overall administration. It coordinates and formulates policies on admission and academic regulations, as well as provides support to facilitate research and learning among postgraduate students.
The Research Department of IPSis manages processes from application to graduation of post graduate students in collaboration with UiTM faculties and centre of excellence. Currently there are about 50 research-based programmes in UiTM. Below are information in brief from the department:
- Application for a research mode programme either for Masters or Doctorate can be done online.
- Programmes by research are offered throughout the year on a pre-set monthly schedule.
- Newly registered candidates are given a logbook by IPSis.
- Its mandatory for newly registered candidates to attend IGS Research Skills Seminar (please check the website for the schedule).
- Please ensure that registered candidates have the Process and Procedures, Guidelines on Thesis Format and Academic Rules and Regulations booklet.
- IGS Data Analysis Seminar and IGS Writing Skills Seminar are available for returning students.
- Defense of Proposal and Viva-Voce schedule are available on the website.
- Forms are available on the website for candidates to download.
- Candidates are advised to be in constant contact with faculty to ensure the research process and procedures stipulated by IPSis are being adhered to.
- Please check the website for updates on schedules, workshops and other pertinent information.
- Other clarifications do not hesitate to enquire from the department.
The Coursework Department is managing students’ academic related matters with the full cooperation and support from the Heads of Postgraduate Coursework Programmes and their administrative staff. The Coursework Department has to work together with the Faculties in order to manage and address issues relating to the academic matters of coursework postgraduate students such as registration of courses, study leaves, withdrawal from studies and appeal for continuing of study.
Currently, there are 68 coursework programmes for masters degree and one (1) doctoral programme by coursework. These coursework programmes are offered by 21 Faculties and also by 11 branch campuses of UiTM throughout Malaysia. UiTM offers a wide and distinctive range of coursework programmes for postgraduate studies in Science & Technology (29 master programmes), Business & Management (17 master programmes and 1 doctoral programme) and Social Science & Humanities (21 master programmes).
To our registered coursework postgraduate students, kindly adhere to the important dates of the following important academic activities:
Online Student Registration
Online Courses Registration
Online Validation of Courses
Updating the i-student portal
Students have to ensure that these activities are carried out within the stipulated time given in order to maintain an ‘active’ student status. Please do update on IPSis information on this website via latest announcements, coursework guidelines and information, details of coursework programmes and coursework forms.
For new candidates who are interested to register with our postgraduate coursework programmes, please click under Academic Affairs : intake guidelines and information and online application. Hope to see you in the forthcoming registration for new students.